Thursday, April 14, 2011

Thursday Good Luck

Every Saturday you read my list of "Congratulations," the list of the last week's accomplishments.  As much as I know we like reading the race reports, I've always felt bad that the timing and setup forces me to give a post-race "Congratulations" instead of pre-race "Good Luck."  I haven't figured out a way to remedy that situation, but today I am going to make use of an alternative method.

Today I am wishing everyone "Good Luck!"

We have some bloggers with rather big races this weekend, so I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge them, wish them "Good Luck," and give you guys some time to head over and check them out before the race (maybe send them your own "good luck").


Here are this weekend's racers...

1.  The first on the list is Jess @ Run With Jess.  Jess is running the Oshkosh Half Marathon in Wisconsin this Saturday.  The weather doesn't look optimal, but she recruited a pacer for a goal of sub-2 hour.  Best of luck to her and maybe some sun will float her way!  Check her pre-race send off out HERE

2.  Colleen @ IRONDIVA is racing the Glass City Half Marathon on Sunday in Toledo, Ohio.  She may not be shooting for a PR, but every race is fun and she gets to meet some other bloggers!  Wish her luck HERE

3.  Tonia @ Racing With Babes is racing the Dismal Swamp Stomp Half Marathon in Chesapeake, VA and is in high gear for a PR this Saturday; sub-1:55.  I have no doubt she'll be able to crush it!  Check her out HERE

4.  See Mom Run Far is running the Salt Lake City Marathon this Saturday.  She is shooting for sub-4 hours, so best of luck to her!  Check out her pre-race excitement HERE.  

Now it's time for one of my favorite races of the year...

The Boston Marathon!  

For those who don't know, I got my Bachelors from Boston University and I lived right on the marathon course as it comes into Kenmore Square around mile 24.  For four years, I'd have school off on Marathon Monday and get to watch TONS of athletes run through the city.  It was an incredibly awe inspiring experience every year and I certainly have Boston in my sites for the future

I'm including the Race Bib #'s for each of our blogger Boston runners, so feel free to follow them online.  The Boston Athletic Association (B.A.A.) will broadcast every 5k split to their website HERE.  The feature is not currently up, but the B.A.A. says "The 'face' of the Boston Marathon website will change on race day and the process on how to enter the search will be clear."

So without further ado, here are a few bloggers you will find running through the streets of Boston on Marathon Monday!


4.  Mel @ Tall Mom On The Run.  Race Bib # - 14576
Mel went through a lot of her own personal trials simply in deciding whether or not to sign up to run Boston this year.  Get that!; she qualified and then questioned entering.  haha  After some encouragement and tons of support, she entered and is beyond ready to rock Bean Town.  So Mel, I wish you the best of luck!  I wish you a beyond happy 26.2 miles in my previous home town.  Your dad would be beyond proud of everything you've done and as only one of your many blog stalkers, I hope our support and encouragement has been able to fill a portion of his shoes.  This monday is YOUR day!  Rock it Girl!!  Check out how Mel found herself where she's at HERE

5.  James Daniel @ PowerMultisport.  Race Bib # - 4148
I wish I had a story to tell on how James got to running Boston.  All I know is he kicked butt, hit the qualifying time and will be on Bean Town turf this weekend.  He certainly has been taking a less popular training path with maintaining his volume, a method I'm very curios about myself.  I can't wait to see how he does with it.  I'm sure he'll stroll onto Boylston Street with either plenty of juice left or one amazing time!  Check James out HERE

6.  Ali @ See Ali Eat...See Ali Run has a "manfriend" Tom who is running.  Race Bib # - 4355
I know even LESS about Tom aside from his association with Ali.  So I'll just leave it at "best of luck Tom."  Ali, you'll have to get him to write a guest blog race report!  Check out Ali's post about their vacation for Tom's run HERE

Follow your favorite Boston runners on Race Day (Monday, April 18th, 2011) HERE.

For anyone who has not seen a Boston Marathon, this is the final 0.25 miles of the 2008 marathon on Boylston Street leading straight to the finish line.



The crowds at the finish are CRAZY!  And among that mass of the 2008 Boston Marathon finishers was this guy... (sorry I don't have more of a clip, he caught me very much by surprise).


That's right, a pink shirt, pink shoes, a tootoo, and a pink, sparkly, star wand.  Anyone care to show him up?



** If you are racing this weekend and I didn't mention you, 
please let me know and I will add you to the list.  **

Stay fit.  Stay healthy.

6 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Super fun post! Thanks for the well wishes!

Run with Jess said...

Great post Kurt! And thank you for the shout-out! I'll run my little tail off... :)

So cool you lived on the Boston route!! Did everyone wanna be your friend that day!??!? haha

Caroline said...

Love this post! how lucky you were to be able to see it in person! I just wrote about that yesterday how one day I hope I can be one of the cheerleaders!!!

Triathlon Benchwarmer said...

Just found your blog and love it! Doing my first triathlon in a few months and still trying to figure out this training thing....great reading on here to push me in the right direction.

Richelle said...

I loved being a spectator at Boston last year. The crowds were deafening. Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

Unknown said...

Thank you!!!! :)