Sunday, September 12, 2010

Cross Training & c25k

After yesterday, my right shin and left foot felt a little odd, so I decided to not do a run today.  Therefore, cross training workout today with the focus on core and arms.  I used one new exercise and also started taking my heart rate (beats per minute, bpm) immediately after finishing each full set.  For a comparison, my resting bpm was 54 and my max based on some suggested calculations online is around 196.  Many workouts and/or fitness articles will mention you should work at a certain percentage of your max bpm, so I figured this will help me figure out how to gauge my heart rate and give you an idea of how much I'm really working in each set. 

New Exercise:
1.  Leg/Butt Lifts:  This is a combination of two exercises I may do separately later on, leg lifts and butt lifts.  In total, you start out by laying on your back, legs extended.  Keeping your legs as straight as possible, you lift your legs up to a vertical position.  From here, you lift your butt and as much of your back off the ground as you can.  Then in the reverse you return to the starting position.  This exercise is geared towards your lower abs as opposed to normal sit-ups and crunches which target your upper abs.


Reps & Weights
1.  Up-Downs (10 reps with 10lb weights)
2.  Crunch Ups (3 sets of 10 sit-ups and 15 crunches)
3.  Push Ups (30 reps)
4.  Leg/Butt Lifts (30 reps)
5.  Shoulder Press (30 reps with 10 lbs)
6.  Side Turns (12 reps on each side)
7.  Bicep Curls (15 reps with 50 lbs)
BPM: 102

AND REPEAT

8.  Up-Downs (10 reps with 10lbs)
9.  Crunch Ups (3 sets of 10 sit-ups and 15 crunches)
10.  Push Ups (35 reps)
11.  Leg/Butt Lifts (30 reps)
12.  Shoulder Press (30 reps with 10lbs)
13.  Side Turns (15 reps on each side)
14.  Bicep Curls (15 reps with 50 lbs)
BPM:  122


I also wanted to mention a fitness workout that a few people I know have started using, Couch to 5k (c25k).  I was first introduced to c25k through a rather well known youtuber who I fallow named sxephil (philip defranco).  Then recently I have heard from two different friends (people I know in person) that they are using the program.  I've looked over the general program and I think it's great for anyone who is either out of shape or has a difficult time with motivation.  First, it offers a workout outline in both time and distance after the first two weeks.  Now this does two things, it should force people to SLOWLY work up to running longer distances (one major cause of injury in running is pushing too much mileage too fast) and then allows people to continue weeks 3-9 however they are mentally geared.  You can also switch if say you're distance person, but one day you're a little more tired you can run a little slower and just go for the set time; no pressure.  I personally switch; some days I'm more distance oriented while other days I'm focused on the time.   Secondly, the program allows you to decide when to do each workout during the week.  So for those people who do one workout and then wake up the next dreading the idea of doing another, take a day off!  If you're into it, do all three right in a row.  If something comes up in life, push the workout a day off.  The program is easy to fit into your personal and work/academic life.  Lastly, I have heard that the program offers programs for your high tech phones (always helpful for getting those of the younger generation interested) and also audio files that provide cues as to when to switch from running to walking and vice versa.  So as long as you can GET to a treadmill or even better, outside, the audio tracks tell you what to do; just follow the instructions and don't give up!

So there's yet another program to help people get in better shape.  Oh, and I should mention that I made a promise to both of my friends that are doing the c25k.  If they finish the program in full, I will sign up for a 5k with them and we'll run it as a celebration.  So hopefully come mid November, I'll be signing up for a "winter" 5k with them.  I'm always happy to support being fit and healthy!

Ok, time to get my laundry and some dinner.  Ciao!

1 comment:

CupCake@ Bigger Girls Can Run Too said...

I am full of nervous excitement to start this program tomorrow, but I look forward to our winter run :)

Keep us motivated!