Friday, June 21, 2013

RECIPE BOOK: Turkey Chili

This week's recipe comes from a few sources.  A fellow employee seeded the idea for turkey chili in my head.  With an afternoon off and the need for both a new recipe and some random items at the grocery store, I decided to give it a whirl.  However, I didn't stop and look up or even formulate a recipe before picking up what I needed.  Let's call this a shot in the dark.

Once home, I looked through online recipes to make sure I had the basics - turkey, tomato sauce of some sort, seasonings, onion, garlic, beans.  The rest was left up to my imagination and sense of smell/taste.

It turned out pretty well if I do say so myself!  But don't trust me; I'm biased!  Be your own judge. 


INGREDIENTS


1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
5 cloves of garlic, minced
2 stalks of celery, coarsely chopped
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1.5 cups of turkey meat
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1/2 can of cannellini beans, rinsed
1 yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1/2 lime, juiced


INSTRUCTIONS

Add onion, garlic, and celery to a large pot.  Heat on medium until fragrant; about 2 minutes.  Add seasonings and heat for 1 minute.  Add turkey and cook until it is no longer pink.  Add the tomatoes and heat on medium-high until it boils.  Return to a medium-low heat and cook for 10 minutes.  Taste test and add seasoning as needed.  Add beans and cook for an additional 5 minutes.  When finished, add lime juice, mix well, let it cool, and serve.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions
1.  What's in your chili recipe?
There are some VERY competitive chili cook offs out there.  

2. Which would you prefer, a sweet, spicy, or savory chili?
The lime was a last minute idea that turned out to be a great kick. 


Dream.  Believe.  Achieve. 

No comments: