Wednesday, June 12, 2013

My Friends Are Geniuses! No Biggie.

QUESTION:
What does a home improvement store, a science lab, and triathlon all have in common?

ANSWER:
Eye protection!

You have to protect your eyes from flying wood shavings, chemical sprays, and high winds on your bike!  Hopefully not all at the same time, but you never know.  The apocalypse could come any day. 

While setting up for the Lake T Sprint Triathlon last week, we all noticed that the weather was going predominantly in the "not so good" direction.  The clouds were coming in and rain was supposed to come down shortly after race start.  With the sun getting blocked out, one thing I always have to debate is the use of sunglasses on the bike.

Without the need for blocking out the sunlight, the glasses are only good for blocking the wind while they make everything look like the sun has already gone down; not such a good thing while going at an average 21 mph on back roads.

I'm sure you're thinking "They have clear, yellow, orange, and other glasses as well as replaceable lenses."  Sure they do, but they're expensive!  Well, they have been up until now!  A friend of mine introduced me to his ingenious idea for the newest line of triathlon glasses...


...by Dewalt!  That's right, the kind you'd find at Home Depot or Lowe's.  Why pay upwards of $250 for a pair of Rudy sunglasses when you can get THIS pair at Lowe's for less than $10.  Heck, get two just in case!

I was so impressed, I had to look them up and yes, they're only $8 plus tax.  I was about to head to Lowe's when I remembered that I had a pair of glasses from teaching organic chemistry labs in college.  Admittedly it took me awhile to dig them out - they haven't been used in quite some time - but they fit perfectly!!



I took them with me on a ride this past Sunday and while they certainly don't do well to block sunlight, they block the wind quite well!!  I'll be adding these to my triathlon gear with quite the smile. 

I will have to keep my eyes and mind open to other non-triathlon gear that might be useful.  I could very well be the only athlete at my next race with a lab coat, hard hat and steel toed boots!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions
1.  Do you have multiple pairs of glasses?  Do they have different lenses?

2.  What other types of non-triathlon gear do you use for training or racing?


Dream.  Believe.  Achieve. 

1 comment:

Kevin @ HalfTRIing said...

A piece of Duct Tape (folded onto itself so it can be pulled apart) to repair tire cuts (or anything else). Better than a $ bill. Also can be used to prevent blisters.

Blue painters tape for taping Gues onto the bike. No sticky residue.

Pill pouches for salt, advil, etc for the run and bike.

Small travel spray bottle with drops of baby shampoo and water (Antifogging agent).

Kevin
HalfTRIing.blogspot.com