Sunday, January 8, 2012

Sunday Lessons

I woke up today at 5:36am.  Holy cow!  My alarm didn't go off.  Good think my body woke itself up!  That's what was going through my head.  Then the alarm went off at 5:40, 5 minutes (the 'snooze' time frame) after the alarm setting.  Aaaahhh...  I must have just been too tired to remember hitting the alarm at 5:35. 

Lesson #1
It never hurts to set two alarms.  
If only one is available, be sure to set a 'snooze' function so it continues going off.

I got up, made a lazy breakfast (oatmeal), got dressed, and opted to skip making an organized lunch.  I grabbed some nuts, a banana, clementines, and spinach and headed to work.  Within an hour of the end of my scheduled shift, I began feeling very hungry.  Not good. 

Lesson #2
Always bring extra food.
It's better to have too much than too little.

I was scheduled for half a shift today.  The plan was to clock out at noon, quickly attach the bike rack, and rush home to grab some grub and the bike in order to head to the LBS for three hours of spinning.  Even though they've only had one Sunday spin, I was SO excited to go.  When noon came around without my relief, excitement wasn't exactly how I felt anymore.  All-in-all, I never made it to spinning.  I was going to do another strength day while on my break, but I knew it'd only cause me more days of pain than it was worth the steam release.  Then I started thinking I could spin on my own once I got home.  Nope!  The downstairs neighbor works at 3am so he's in bed by 6pm. 

Lesson #3
Expect plans to change.
Be prepared with an 'alternative' to everything.


Daily Smile
Today was a rather trying day and therefore the most important thus far this year to focus on happy things.  Today it was reading.  I love getting lost in a book.  Right now I'm in the middle of Eldest by Christopher Paolini.
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions
1.  What'd you learn today?

2.  How many of you have woken up only to realize you had been up already and don't remember it?
I've done this a few times, but very rarely. 

2.  How do you relieve stress?  Any good tactics?


Swim fast.  Bike smart.  Run hard. 

2 comments:

Matthew Smith said...

Good lessons, although it sucks that you had to get up so early on a Sunday! What a bummer!

Coy Martinez said...

Today I woke up at 5:15 for an hour of spinnging before the rest of the house woke up. I hate getting up early but I found a morning news show I like and I think I've learned that I can do this...getting up early.