Monday, September 30, 2013

Not Just Vegetarian

As you know, I took the small step and plunge into the depths of being a vegetarian.  To be honest, other than Saturday's craving for fish sticks or a fish sandwich, it has been pretty easy going.

No, I did not give into the craving!

Now, while vegetarians are pretty much viewed as eating vegetables all the time, I think we all know that even a vegetarian (or vegan) can still eat pretty badly if they so choose.  So on top of being vegetarian, I am doing my best to slowly work my way towards a few other dietary sides of the coin...

Organic
Locally grown
No processed foods

The first two items are, in theory, quite easy to do.  Aside from keeping track of the farmer's market schedules, the seasonal periods of various foods, the availability of organic foods at different grocery stores, and possibly the extra driving to get to all the food, the only issue I have had in the past with this switch is the difference in price.  And I am cheap!  There's no point in hiding it.  If I can get something cheaper, it's a no brainer to me.  Why NOT save money?  And when it came to food, I had always been used to the non-organic, non-home grown foods, so why change?

Instead of trying to rationalize the purchase to myself, I've gone with the transitional approach.  I started with buying local tomatoes, something I use quite regularly for Pico de Gallo.  Then I got onions, garlic, zucchini, corn, and most recently, butternut squash.


Above is the price list from the farmer's stand I go to, Eddy's Farm in Newington.   I honestly try not to look at the prices.  I just get what I need, ring it up, and leave.  My financial side may cringe later, but if I can leave before that happens, at least I got that bag of food!

Once the local foods are picked over, however, it's time to head to the grocery store.  Over the last few years, I have become very good about "skirting" the grocery store; shopping around the outside instead of the center aisles.  This is something I picked up from a documentary, Food Inc. if I'm not mistaken.  Therefore, I've cut 90% of my previous processed food diet out.  What remains of my "processed" food is almond milk, canned tomatoes (for sauces), saltines, canned beans, bread, steel cut oats, and natural peanut butter.  The rest (produce) I'm working on getting organic, though it's slow going. 

I feel my vegetarianism is turn into a type of vegetarian paleo diet given the further restrictions, but we'll see where it ends up.  The saltines are hard to kick.  haha

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions
1.  Do you buy local, home grown foods?

2.  What would be your ideal diet?
A mix of vegan and paleo would be my ideal, but I'll admit now that cheese will be a very large hurdle.

3.  What was the last craving you had?, and what was it for?
I wanted a box of fried fish sticks so badly!  

DREAM.  BELIEVE.  ACHIEVE. 

1 comment:

CautiouslyAudacious said...

Way to go!! I agree processed foods are something I'm trying to stay away from especially now a days that there are new products to entice vegetarians.