Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Shut Up Mind!

That's what my body has been silently telling my brain.  But as always, actions speak louder than words, so while the words had been falling on deaf ears for almost a week, today's track workout finally let it ring clear!

Seriously!  No one.  EVER!
Remember how I had been dreading last week's 1200m repeats?  This week was the same workout with one more 1200 added on.  Luckily, due to a tight schedule I was in more of a rush so I had less time to dwell on it.  I just packed up, got to the track, and got started.  I had reserved myself to having a sucky workout but knew after a drop week, I needed to get the mileage in.  It turns out my body was ready!!  It's just my mind that's not quite in the same place.

5x 1200m w/ a 400m recovery

I always start and finish with the same distance at a warm up/down speed; so it's really 7x 1200m.  I set out and cruised at a 1:52 lap, 1:50, 1:46, 1:44... I was feeling good.  With the first real 1200m, I set out at a comfortable push assuming I'd have a bad day and BAM!, 1:35.  What felt like a 15-16 on the RPE scale last week was down to a 12-13.  I even began playing around with my breathing on every other 200m, switching from my normal 2-1 breathing to 3-1. 

Two repeats in, I was psyched and quite happy I had pushed myself to get to the track.  As it says above, I certainly did not regret doing that workout!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions
1.  Have you ever regretted a workout?  If so, what was it and why?
I've only regretted pushing too far and getting injured.  

2.  What's your favorite track workout?
I hate/love ladders because I know I lack on the side of pacing.  I love 400m repeats.  There's something close to perfection when I click into that rhythm and just hit the finish on the dot every single time without fail.  Plus, it's fun to watch other people's times fall back as you continue being steady.  =D

3.  Do you have times when your head is just not into training?
I've got 4 weeks left of hard training and then it's ultra time (much more relaxed and free schedule), but my mind wants it to be over already.


DREAM.  BELIEVE.  ACHIEVE. 

No comments: