Sunday, January 9, 2011

Why do you Exercise?

I was struck with a question today: Why do you exercise?

There are a million different answers: Because I want to be fit and healthy, I want to live longer, I want to avoid certain diseases, I want to lose weight, I want to tone up, I'm trying to fit into certain clothes for a given event, I want to impress someone, I want to bulk up, I enjoy the idea of being stronger, I want to be a body builder, I like the feeling of a workout, It is my stress reliever, and tons more.

So I wanted to ask you guys, why do you work out?  What's your reason for heading to the gym, for heading outdoors, popping in that workout video, or however it is your exercise?  What is your motivation?  PLEASE leave a comment below letting me know.  I'm extremely interested to hear your answers.

Today, I didn't really feel like working out.  My body was tired and I lacked a bit of motivation, but mentally I knew I had to; an Ironman doesn't let low days get in the way!  And soon after I got to the gym, I was SO happy I did.  I enjoy fitness mentally for the idea of being fit and healthy, but physically for the feeling of soreness.  I got acquainted with that feeling long ago as a competitive swimmer and in my opinion, over the years I've come to associate it with a LOT of good memories and thus, I physically enjoy that feeling of sore muscles and working muscles.  Plus, the feeling of being able to do something easily that used to be much more difficult (be it a point of endurance or a strength) is extremely gratifying.  So that's why I exercise.  How about you?


Today's Workout:
Warm-Up: Elliptical; 4 minutes at lvl 13, 1 min backwards at lvl 5
1.  Dumbbell Press (10,10,6 reps with 55 lbs)
2.  Seated Bicep Curls (10,10,10 reps with 45 lbs)
3.  Tricep Bench Dips (30 reps)
4.  Deltoid, bicep, tricep weighted stretch (10 lbs)
Repeated #1-4 for a total of three sets

5.  Squats (10 reps with 90, 110, 130 lbs)
6.  Lat Pull Down (10,10,8 reps with 100 lbs)
Repeated #5-6 for a total of three sets
 
Today's workout was cut short by having to stop at various stores to look at goggles for swimming.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll be headed over to LA fitness in the afternoon to get a swim workout in and help Matthew with his own swimming fitness; that means I have to write a swim workout (YAY!!)

No comments: