Saturday, January 8, 2011

Shin Splints Strike Again

Yesterday I revisited the gym since I'm having issues with a shin splint in my left leg.  I figured I'd give it a day off and hop back on some research into why the heck I'm all of a sudden unable to avoid these things.  But anyways, I had a short workout yesterday before Chicago's opening night.

My Workout:
Warm-Up: Treadmill - 2 min @ 4mph, 8 min @ 8.5 - 11.0 mph, 2 min. @ 4mph
1.  Dumbbell Press (10,10,6 reps with 55 lbs)
2.  Seated Bicep Curls (10,10,5 reps with 45 lbs)
3.  Tricep Bench Dips (20 reps)
Repeated #1-3 for a total of three sets

4.  Side Plank Twists (5 reps on each side)
5.  Crunch-Ups (10 situps & 10 crunches)
6.  Russian Twists (20 reps with 10 lbs)
Repeated #4-6 for a total of three sets

7.  Stretching
8.  Vertical Tricep Dips (3 sets of 10 reps)


I've been trying to be religious about icing/heating my legs, stretching after working out, and maintaining form as much as possible during my runs, but I continually get shin splints.  If anyone has ideas on preventative measures to avoid these buggers, I would greatly appreciate it.  They are really ruining my training.

Time to go play in the newly fallen snow!

No comments: