Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Double Partial Workout

Recently, life has been a constant rush.  On one hand I love it because things are getting done and it's efficient, but on the other hand once in awhile I just want ten minutes to relax and take things a bit slower.  Thankfully, I found time this evening (by not making it to the gym) to write today's blog.  (I know, you're all applauding - you're welcome!).

Today I'm gonna' talk about me because it's all about me.  This is my story about becoming an ironman, so where better to start?!  Haha.  I got up this morning (admittedly a little later than I had hoped), got dressed, stuffed a hand full of peanuts in my stomach, grabbed my gym bag, and booked it to the gym.  My plan was to do a short lifting workout before getting in the gym (my hope is to double up a couple workouts a week and get more and more used to extended workouts spanning multiple dynamic exercises; running and swimming, lifting and biking, and obviously bricks).  Unfortunately, I ended up not having AS much time as desired, so I shortened both ends of the workout.  I did a single upper body set for lifting and then hopped in the pool for a bit before rushing home to get ready for work.

Today's Workout:
LIFTING
1.  Upper body warm up - 10lb deltoid lifts [side & front], bicep curls, military, and stretching
2.  Dumbbell Press (10 reps with 55lbs/arm)
3.  Seated Bicep Curl (10 reps with 30, 40, 40 lb)
4.  Tricep Bench Dip (20 reps)

SWIMMING
1.  250 Warm up (free, back, breast)
2.  5 x 50 free on 55s
3.  5 x 50 drill/swim on 10s
4.  5 x 25 efficient push
5.  125 Cool down
TOTAL: 1000yrds (0.57 miles)

My goal is to get to bed earlier tonight so that I can get up and be at the gym by 9am tomorrow - that'll give me two hours to do a full lifting workout and at least a 2000-2500 yrd workout. 

I was very disappointed with not having enough time this morning to do what I wanted to do because what I ended up doing was cutting short the warm up and cool downs.  I will always suggest to someone that doing some cardio is the best way to warm up before lifting and I cut it out today due to time.  I still did the light lifting which I normally do after the cardio before the workout, but I'm not following my own advice.  Secondly, my swimming workout got cut short and I ended up not cooling down as much as planned.  Swimming is a bit more forgiving in this respect because your muscles are generally already stretched.  However, it is still not good to cut out either aspects of a workout.  I did one thing I would certainly harp on others for! 

Today's Lesson: Never cut into a workout's warm up or cool down.  If you have to cut something out, shorten the workout.  Your body needs to be warmed up correctly in order for a workout to reach it's full benefit as well as be SAFE.  Also, your body needs the time to relax, stretch out, and cool down after a workout or you'll end up with tight tendons, ligaments, and muscles; you could end up with residual cramping or risk of pulling that muscle later in the day because it was not properly relaxed.  Thankfully I did not fall to any ill fate due to my bad choice and hopefully I can time manage better to avoid such positions in the future.

Stay fit!  Stay healthy!

No comments: