Sunday, November 7, 2010

World Running Day

Today is WORLD RUNNING DAY. How did you celebrate?

My celebration was semi-anticlimactic, but I went for my first run in two weeks; second run in a month.  After I injured myself at the Hartford Half Marathon by having smaller shoes I was forced to take some time off.  I tried a 2 mile run two weeks ago and found I still had pain in my toes.  So today I went out and gave it another try.  As of tonight, they seem ok, but I'll make the final call tomorrow.  I hoping for a green light because I just recently got "challenged, no... dared, no... threatened" to run a 5k on Thanksgiving while I'm visiting some extended family.  I would sure need some training miles under me before I run it, let alone run the race period.  Let's hope!!

Other than that, I had a workout this morning and let me tell you, I am extremely tired (and loving it)!

Today's Workout:
1.  Warm up: Elliptical; 1 mile forward, 0.2 mile backwards, 0.2 mile forward, 0.1 mile backwards (heart rate up to ~160)
2.  Reclined Bench Press (10 reps with 120 lb)
3.  Chin Ups (5 reps)
4.  Push-Ups (20 reps)
...Repeat #2 and 3 for a total of three sets

5.  Seated Calf Raises (30 reps with 90 lb)
6.  Squats (10 reps with 80,90,100,110,120,130 lb)
7.  Standing Calf Raises (60,70,60,50,57,60 reps with 80--/100 lb)
...Repeat #5-7 for a total of 6 sets

8.  Side Plank Twists (10 reps on each side)
9.  Crunch Ups (10 sit-ups & 10 crunches)
10.  Russian Twists (20 reps with 10 lb) 
...Repeat #8-10 for a total of 3 sets

11.  Treadmill (0.2 miles [speed 4.0], 1.3 mile [7.5-9.0], 0.2 [4.0], 0.5 [9.0-10.0], 0.2 [4.0])
12.  Leg Curl (3 sets of 10 reps with 130)
13.  Leg Extension (3 sets of 10,10,9 reps with 160 lb)
14.  Stretching
15.  Vertical Leg Lifts (10 straight & 10 bent)
16.  Tricep Dip (10 reps)
17.  Push-Ups (20,10&10,10&5&5 reps)
...Repeat #15-17 for a total of 3 sets
18.  Outdoor Run (1.4 mile)


Having swam competitively for so long, I'm used to the feeling of being weak/tired during the day because of a morning workout, but I honestly can't say I've felt it since 2004.  So when I headed out to do some errands, I was thrilled to find that my body was soooo tired.  On top of it, I ate a full lunch at 2:30pm and was hungry again by 5:00pm.  That's the type of schedule I'm used to while being "in shape." 

On another note, I went looking at new running shoes and winter running gear today.  I've favored New Balance for a number of years, so I went there first.  My wallet is not in the best of moods.  haha  $140 for the pair I want.  That's more than I've spent on any pair of shoes in my life by $90.  I'm going to be looking around at other brands just to see if I can find anything cheaper, but either way, I'm convinced I'll be paying a record high for this new pair of shoes either way.  As far as winter gear, I assume I will eventually need a long sleeve whicking shirt along with some pants, a fleece type pullover and more, but am not sure at this point what my body will need (I tend to become a furnace when I exert myself).  I was still running in just shorts and a dri-fit sleeveless shirt today at 48 degrees.  I am open to suggestions or thoughts.  Thanks!

Ciao!

No comments: