Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Let it Go, Let it Go, Let it Go

Today's Lesson - Don't let things get you down, always be flexible and adjustable.

As some of you know (those who are a bit closer to my locale), CT has been getting a good amount of snow lately.  We've accumulated over two feet in the last couple weeks and it just keeps coming.  In general, I love it!  I grew up in western upstate New York, so I'm used to tons of lake effect snow.  However, despite the fact that I love having the snow around, I do not enjoy dealing with other people dealing with the snow.

I got up this morning and noticed through the window that it was snowing.  "Oh, that's nice."  I got up, got dressed, and headed to the gym for my morning workout.  It doesn't even register with me to think 'maybe the gym will be closed' or 'maybe I should check the weather forecast'; I just go about my business.  Thankfully, the gym WAS open though I had my doubts for a minute after I pulled into the parking lot.  I got a good 4 mile run in and then quickly ran a couple errands on the way home.  Once home, I showered, ate, got ready for work, and went to work.  If you don't know, I currently work at a marketing firm who goes door-to-door.  Therefore, no matter what the weather is like, I spend 4-5 hours a day outside in it.  On my way out to the area I'm working in, I had to get on the highway (I84) and despite my hope that everyone would be either at work already or have stayed home, 84 was packed and going 20-30 mph!!  "Are you joking me right now?!!"

I finally get out to my area, work the day, and head back to the office.  After work I rush out to the gym for my evening workout.  I'm a little bummed about my day and frustrated with the current conditions so I was SO looking forward to blowing off some steam at the gym with a good workout.  But the gods above decided to curse me and LA Fitness closed an hour early tonight.  I arrived at 9:40pm and they were closing at 10pm; I had 20 minutes so there was no way I'd have time to swim.  On top of that, they will not be opening until noon or later tomorrow.  Not only do I have built up frustration and can't get it out, but now I have no option for tomorrow's morning workout. 

Finally, I got home.  I did some pushups and situps while making dinner and that definitely helped calm me down a bit.  Endorphins, adrenaline, and focused thinking can go a LOOOOOONG way.

All in all, while I'd love to say "Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow," I know that a part of me wants to kill someone while I'm out in it.  So I have to learn to simply "Let it Go."  Of course I'm frustrated with traffic, but there's nothing I can do so sit back and relax.  If the gym closes early, it just does; I can always come home and do a circuit instead.  Flexibility is the only way to maintain a training schedule.  Things will come up (weather, friends, family, work, etc.) and you have to be ready to adjust to fit the requirements. 

I won't promise that tomorrow will be any better, but I will do my best to get it turned right-side up.

Stay fit.  Stay healthy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm always amused at how people seem to forget how to drive when the weather gets rough. Hope it gets better up there.