Thursday, April 12, 2012

Something For Everybody


As I'm getting packed for a weekend in North Carolina, here's a list of random thoughts I haven't been able to fit into a coherent blog post.  Enjoy!


The Innocence
"The End of The Innocence" is a song by Don Henley.  It came on my "Walking in Memphis" Pandora station and I have to say I'm perplexed.  I admit that I respect Don Henley quite a bit, but there must be something I'm missing with the lyrics.  ...the innocence.  Why "the innocence."  Is Innocence a superhero like The Hulk?  Is it a wreslter?; The Rock?  Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to just say "This is the end of ... (no 'the')... innocence"?  Don, please get back to me on that!

Shit Triathlete's Don't Say
Remember all those "Shit (insert demographic)s Say" videos?  Well, THIS video came out for the kick off of Ironman 70.3 Oceanside and Galveston by the amazing Lesley Paterson.  I can't get enough of the reach for aerobottle straw!  What's your favorite line?

Dreams Do Come True
Want a feel good story?  HERE ya' go!  I saw this posted on Facebook recently.  A 9-year old boy spent his summer building a cardboard arcade and people reach out to absolutely make his day.  If I lived in the area, I would have come by for a Fun Pass myself!

My Latest Million Dollar Half-Baked Idea
Two words for ya'...  Over-Easy Pancakes.  Over-easy is one word, right? 

So I'm at work running a class when all of a sudden I start thinking about types of eggs - scrambled, poached, hard-boiled, omelets, sunny side up, over-easy, etc.  And then I ask myself "what goes great with eggs?  Pancakes!  I wonder what a pancake would taste like if I cooked it over-easy.  Hmmm..."  No, I was not under the influence of any drugs (unless a multivitamin counts).

What was your last - or most memorable - half-baked idea?


USDA Nutrition Calculator
Let's start by saying it's government approved.  You know what that means - take with a grain of salt.  Anyways, I found it interesting.  HERE is an online, interactive calculator for a majority of your main nutrients along with the basic calorie count.

According to the calculator, at 26 years old, 6'0" tall, and 170 pounds, I need somewhere between 3200 and 3700 calories a day.  We could get into a debate as to what "Active" and "Very Active" really mean, but let's just leave it at 'use at your own risk.' 

Any nutritionists out there care to weigh in on how closely this relates to your typical guidelines?

WetsuitRentals.com
As you may know, I'm in the market for a wetsuit (and I welcome advice or suggestions!).  In my search for all the various options, I came upon the website wetsuitrentals.com.  Not only does the site offer wetsuits for rental, but it also sells used wetsuits at a fraction of the price; great deals if you're in the market for something and don't care if it's an older model.

Anyways, I also found that the website keeps a history of the water temperatures at various races across the country; find it HERE.  Interested in doing a new triathlon, but don't like that the posted 'expected water temp' is ranged somewhere between 65 and 75?  Check out the list and see exactly where it's been the past. 




Swim fast.  Bike smart.  Run hard. 

3 comments:

ajh said...

I am still deciding about a wetsuit. Thanks for sharing that sight. Full sleeve or sleeveless has been my big question.

Suz and Allan said...

Very random but yet I'll probably remember more of this post than any other one I read today.

Sarah said...

Hope you were able to find a wetsuit that you liked.