Thursday, August 11, 2011

And then the doctor says...

"It looks like we fixed one injury and then you go and get another."

Yeah Doc.   Sorry about that.  What can I say?, I'm glutten for punishment.  At least I don't walk into your office with a cast or severe bleeding!!

I went back to the Orthopedic doctor today to get my foot looked at.  While it has been feeling better this week, I figured with big races coming up, I better just be sure I'm not broken. 

Remember the original pic?


You can tell the right foot is swelling.  It stayed that way for over a week despite icing, NSAIDs, and elevating it as much as I could with a job that has me on my feet for 40 hours a week.

Then the swelling went down and bruising started showing up down at my toes.


I was happy to not have a BIG FOOT, but the bruising concerned me. 

Anyways, the doctor says there's nothing broken, so no worries about long-term injuries.  The bruising is probably due to something being torn or cut further up my foot or ankle and the blood simply collected at my toes because of gravity (Thanks Newton!!). 

Long story short...

Stay off the foot as dictated by the pain.  
As it feels better, you can use it more and I'll be fine.  

What does that mean?  It means no sprint triathlon tonight.  No olympic triathlon next weekend.  I'll still do the MS Bike Tour on the 28th.  Then we'll hope that it's healed up enough to run on by September.


On another note, today's my day off, so I'll get lots of rest for the foot today!  Can we say food, movies, naps, and reading?!?!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions
1.  What do you like to do on your days off from work?  Do you train or relax?
I do a mix when I can.  I'll train hard and then relax the rest of the day.

2.  Any good book ideas? 
I'm about half way through "Prey" by Michael Crichton and I need something to move onto next.


Stay fit.  Stay healthy.  Stay safe. 

7 comments:

TriGirl said...

Injuries suck. Glad it's only temporary!

Runners Fuel said...

Glad nothing is broken! Sorry about the injury, though.

Coy Martinez said...

Well darn about the races but at least nothing is broken! Crazy how blood flows like that.

Anonymous said...

Wow, yes definitely rest it so it has time to heal!!

My days off are usually never completely "off" - as I'm chasing a 2 year old around and trying to get stuff done around the house! Wish I was better at napping, etc...

I haven't had much time for reading lately but I always love James Patterson's books, esp the ones with Alex Cross in them.

it's all about pace said...

1. I like to train :-)

2. Harlan Coben

Aimee said...

OH NO! What a bummer! But, at least nothing is broken! It sounds like you just need to take it easy and take the time to let it heal.

Ransick said...

Good news that nothing is broken and no long term issues!

BTW, I received the nutrition for winning your contest. Thanks! I'll put a blurb in my blog about it in my next post with a link back to your blog.