Sunday, October 3, 2010

UCHC South Park 5K Road Race

Today was my second running race, another 5K (3.1 miles).  Overall, I ran a 20:00 5k (6:27/mile) and took 7th or 8th I believe.  I split 6:15, 6:32, 6:34 miles all the while facing 50 degree weather!  I even had to pull out the arm warmers for this one since I'm not used to running in anything less than mid-sixties.  

I felt like the race started out at a quicker pace compared to last weekend and my time in the mile certainly verifies that.  However, despite being faster, I felt like I was less energetic - maybe sluggish is the way to put it and I partially want to blame my lack of comfort with the air temperature (I had never practice in cooler weather).  When I crossed the 1 mile marker I was shocked to see I was only 6:15 in.  The second mile last weekend was still on an incline, so this week's race is less comparable, but overall I felt a bit sluggish, maybe less pushed.  And after racing, I felt recovered very quickly.  I actually debated going out for a run this afternoon, but decided against it.  So compared to how I felt drained after last weekend's 5k, this one was a breeze with only 30 seconds added on.

Times will fluctuate and courses can never truly be compared evenly.  All I can take away from today is that I know I felt more sluggish, a little less energetic, and turned in a time 30 seconds slower.  I will take that with me and continue working on knowing how to pace my body. 

Next up is the half marathon.  My only previous goal was to finish it.  After today (having run sub-seven minute miles and not being fatigued), I may shoot for an average 7-min mile.  That'd put me at 1:31:42.  I originally thought a 1:30 - 1:45 would be my goal.  If I manage to grab it, that'd put me in a position to be seeded for a subsequent marathon (given a number based on my official predicted time), not to mention in a much better mental position to attempting a Boston qualifier.  Oooo, I'm getting goosebumps and excited chills just thinking about it.  One step at a time.  I have to average 7:25/mile in a marathon to qualify for Boston.  Let's see if I can hold that for half the distance.  Here's to high hopes!

This week's plan is to stick to nothing more than 10k runs and some core cross-training work.  I'll take Friday off and see what happens Saturday morning.  

Ciao!

No comments: