Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I Love My Multi-Sport Days on Taper

Man do I love when a taper comes together!

One thing I do more on a taper than I do during the normal build phases of my training is multisport days.  Instead of only swimming, biking, or running, I'll pick two or even all three and do them. 

After Sunday's multisport day, I took Monday off.  Then today I hit up all three again.

I woke up at 6:50am, downed some pb and orange juice and was out the door.

4.24 mile run
2nd Breakfast (eggs, banana w/ pb, milk)
5.7 mile bike
1 hr yoga class
1000 yard swim
5.5 mile bike
NAP


Run
It's the week before race day and I don't want to tax myself more than needed.  Yet, I want to keep the pace up.  Sunday had been an easy run, so today I wanted a bit of a push.   The idea was that I obviously feel better running now without having swum and biked, so warm up, tax myself, and then THAT would be closer to race day conditions.

I was only doing 4.24, so I went easy the first mile, went hard the next just over a mile, hit the turn around, and simply tried to keep a steady pace the whole way back.

Easy ended up being 7:22 pace.  Hard was a 6:09 pace.  Then I held an easy 7:00 pace the whole back half.  I was happy!!  I'm cautious to say I think I can beat my 7:30 HIM goal pace, but I don't think I'd be surprised if I do.

Thursday May 31st - Sprint Tri 
Sunday June 3rd - Rev3  Half
Monday June 4th - Glorious Day of Rest & Recovery



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions
1.  What do you do different in the weeks before a big race?
I do a 2-week taper before my A-races - decreasing volume and increasing speed.  I do more multisport days (bricks) and do my best to only wear what I'm going to have on race day.  Every workout from two weeks in is about visualizing the race day and having a plan for every obstacle.  I also start including carbs in my diet in the last week. 

2.  What did you do for Memorial Day?
I did my best to not melt.  haha 

Swim fast.  Bike smart.  Run hard. 

No comments: