Thursday, October 27, 2011

My Wicked Relapse

After training since March and pushing myself well past the limit with the marathon, I decided to take time off.  And by "time off," I mean completely off.  No training, no athletic goal, let my mind and body relax. 

I needed to give my ITB time to heal.  My knees have killed me.  My legs need to finally heal from constantly overlooking recovery for continued training.  My right foot still bothers me at times; that should go away.  I started getting constant shin splints...

That went well for 10 days.  

I've gone without running.  I've only done about 20 minutes of spinning.  But the other day I did my first weight training workout in almost a year.  Then today I did yoga and took a core class. 

I admit it.  I'm addicted.  I love working out!
Can you blame me?

I guess if I can't hold myself to my plan, at least I've finally got the motivation to insert weight training into my regime!  #lookatthepositiveside  #optimism 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions
1.  Do you ever have problems sticking to rest/recovery?
I'm accepting any advice on how to stick to a recovery plan!

2.  What are you addicted to?
Chocolate?  A tv show?  endorphins?



Swim fast.  Bike smart.  Run hard. 

7 comments:

Quix said...

I feel totally weird if I go more than a few days without a sweat session too. I feel ya.

I usually take some time to just do whatever I feel like fitness-wise each year after a big race when another isn't planned for a while. Sadly, I've booked myself solid for the next year (marathon in winter, century late spring, then a summer tri series) so I'm just going to have to keep listening to my body and see when it needs mini-breaks. Every few months, if I don't at least take a nice long weekend completely off, minor injuries or illness forces the break for me. :P

TriGirl said...

I've been trying to do other things, even went back to weights. I was able to just start spin again but I really want to RUN and it's making me crazy that I can't. Seriously. I'm turning into a grouchy crazy person.

Anonymous said...

I am terrible at taking time off...I never do it even though I need to!

My vice is Diet Coke :)

it's all about pace said...

I don't really take breaks... for me it's a way of life.

As a single parent I do manage to miss workouts

Anonymous said...

I just started weight training again after YEARS.. I do love it! My other addiction.. coffee!

Unknown said...

Rest and recovery are the hardest thing for me. People don't get that who don't work out. I have a hard time just sitting around. :)

5 Miles Past Empty said...

Good job taking 10 day off!! Make sure you let that ITB heal though, otherwise it can be serious and take months and months to heal. Off season is IMPORTANT! I just learned about it in my RRCA coaching class. Weight training is an awesome addition as is the yoga and spinning. Just bring your mileage and intensity down and youre good!!!

When will you amp back up? Im thinking I'll do the same 1/2 iron in May!!! So Jan I will amp it up again!! Woot!

I'm addicted to crack.

wait, did I say that out loud?