Monday, June 27, 2011

Big Boy Toys

If you follow me on Twitter, you already know...

But if you don't, now you do...

I got me some big boy toys!


 I got a pair of Profile Design ZBS Stryke aerobars.  I decided on those instead of the T1+ because they were in stock essentially (still unsure which would be best).  In between the aerobars I put my Profile Design Aero Drink bottle that Austin @ Enjoy the Ride sent me - Thank you man!!  I also got a strap holder for the bike computer, which conveniently places my computer inbetween the aerobars.  I don't have to look DOWN anymore to see where I'm at; very helpful!!  And last, but not least, I got a head light (strapped to the left side of the handlebar).

I've been riding with the aerobars, aero bottle, and new computer placement for awhile and I must say I enjoy it all.  I'm still adjusting the bars and elbow pads a bit to figure out the best position though.  Ideally, I think I'd prefer a new front fork or seat post to shorten the reach distance, but either way there is an improvement with the aerobars.  

You're supposed to have the aerobar elbow pads set up 
so that your elbow-to-shoulder is vertical, right?

The aero drink bottle is extremely helpful and annoying at the same time.  I need a lot of liquid, so it's helpful to have more water on me when I ride, but with every bump in the road, I get a splash in the face.  I've been researching ways to make a cover for the bottle, but haven't found anything yet.  

How do you deal with the aero bottle splashing?

Lastly, i bought a headlight to allow myself to ride to work during the week when I work late.  Tonight will be my first use of it, so wish me luck.  If you don't see a post for awhile, I might be recovering from injuries.  I've got a few blinking lights, the headlight, bike mounted reflectors, and one blinking light on my helmet as well.  I figure I'm noticeable enough, but I'll find out around 10:15pm tonight.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions
1.  What is the ideal positioning of aerobars?  Any thoughts?

2.  How do you deal with splashing from your aero drink bottle?  Are there caps for them?


Stay fit.  Stay healthy.  Stay safe. 

9 comments:

I'M Tri-ing said...

I've seen people put those shower "scrunchy's" in the top of their aero bottle. I don't know how well they work as I don't have one, but that's what I've seen. Small investment to find out.

Tri-James said...

Narrow is better - regarding the splashing - the shower poufs -

http://www.powermultisport.com/2010/05/shower-poufs-and-water-bottles.html

Coy Martinez said...

I don't have experience with the aero bars so much. I have a pair but I can only use them every once in awhile, just haven't quite adapted BUT I don't ride as much as I should either.

Karen said...

Love teh aerobars - congrats - I am sure they will be a big help to you! No idea on the aero bottle. I need one... sounds like maybe I need a shower scrunchy too? (not even sure what that is...)

5 Miles Past Empty said...

Yep, I got the splash in the face too during my 70.3. It was so hot I enjoyed it at first but then when I got thirsty I cursed it....

So I think my bottle came with a strange spongy looking thing that goes over the top of the bottle. I'll have to look at it and take some photos to email you when I get home (still in Seattle). But I don't remember if the spray came from the straw or the lid part. Do you????

Awesome aero bars! Can you head into a bike shop to have the bike fitted and set up for you with the proper alignment?

And P.S. sorry I have been MIA. My computer has been crashing for a few weeks now and I finally got a new one!! YAY!!

Matthew Smith said...

Sweet stuff, man! I would go to the profile design website. They've got replacement caps. I wonder if it would fit yours... Be safe on the roads at night.

Richelle said...

Oooh... nice toys!

Ironmom (Julie) said...

Hey Kurt, the only way I've found to deal with the splashing is to drink it down far enough so it doesn't get you. I still spend a lot of time sticky. :)

Miguel Vieira said...

You go man! Great toys. Have you noticed change in the handling of the bike due to weight increase?
http://roadtoironmandaddy.blogspot.com/