Monday, October 18, 2010

Gym, Gym, Gyree!!

Back to the gym today.  My muscles felt great and I even went ahead an upped a couple weights.  My goal is to essentially keep in the gym while my feet are healing and avoid hurting myself.  One of the things I have to do in order to keep up with the latter is keep from upping weights too fast.  I'm not looking to put on 20lbs of muscle or look like a body builder.  I just want to increase my upper body endurance, maybe build a little muscle over time, but mainly keep my body used to the workout schedule.


New Exercise(s):
1.  Military Press:  This works much like a bench press where you are moving weights up and down vertically, but instead of your body at a horizontal position 90 degrees to the movement of the weights, a military press has you sitting vertically.  The weights begin at or just above shoulder height and move up over your head.  The change of body position switches the muscle target from your pectorals to your shoulders.  Be sure to keep your back straight while doing this exercise or it will become an incline bench press and the muscle target will shift to include upper pectorals.

Reps & Weights:
Warm up: 1 mile forward and 0.5 mile backwards on an elliptical (heart rate up to ~155/160)
1.  Dumbbell Press (10,10,10 reps with 50lbs/arm)
2.  Bicep Curls (10 reps with 30lbs)
.....** Repeat 1 & 2 for a full three sets

3.  Gravity Rower (10 reps with 45lbs)
4.  Horizontal Overhead Lat (10 reps with 40, 40, 45lbs)
5.  Trecip Bench Dips (30 reps)
.....** Repeat 3-5 for a full three sets

6.  Pull-Down Triceps (3 sets of 10 reps with 50, 60, 60lbs)
7.  Vertical Overhead Lats (3 sets of 10,10,9 reps with 60lbs)

8.  Crunch Ups (3 sets of 10 situps & 10 crunches)
9.  Side Turns (10 reps)
10. Pectoral Fly (3 sets of 10,10,6 reps with increasing weight [90, 110, 130 lbs])

Two things I noticed today.  First, as mentioned above, I was able to do a bit more in weights/reps which would be expected after a day off.  Second, my body didn't seem to tire as much throughout the workout.  Usually I get a dull pain in my pecs early on, then a tension in my forearms, my triceps begin to burn, and all of that carries on to a degree throughout the workout.  Today they all seemed to fade away after a few minutes.  That means one (or both) of two things (at my current understanding).  Either I should have increased the weights/reps more or my upper body is already getting used to the intensity of the workout and is recovering faster.  I'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow morning and go from there.

No comments: