Saturday, October 30, 2010

Pre-Halloween Beef-Up

Today I hit the gym for an upper body workout.  I'm going as The Hulk to a halloween party tonight, so I figure I'd beef up the guns or pythons a bit for the full effect.  (I can't even keep a straight face while typing that).

Reps & Weights:
Warm up: Elliptical; 1 mile forward, 0.2 mile backwards, 0.2 mile forward, 0.1 mile backwards (heart rate up to ~160)
1.  Dumbbell Press (10 reps with 55 lbs/arm)
2.  Bicep Curls (10 reps with 55 lbs)
.....** Repeat 1 & 2 for a full three sets

3.  Gravity Rower (10 reps with 50 lbs)
4.  Horizontal Overhead Lat (10 reps with 45 lbs)
5.  Trecip Bench Dips (30 reps)
.....** Repeat 3-5 for a full three sets

6.  Side Lifts (3 sets of 10 with 25lb [back] & 10lbs [sides])
7.  Horizontal Straight Leg Lifts (3 sets of 10)

**Stretching**

8.  Crunch Ups (3 sets of 10 situps & 10 crunches)
9.  Side Turns (2 sets of 15/5 reps)
10. Military Press (3 sets of 10 with 60 lbs)
11. Pectoral Fly (3 sets of 10 reps with 90, 110, 130 lbs)
12. Vertical Bent Leg Lift (3 sets of 12)
13. Vertical Tricep Dip (3 sets of 10/6/8 reps)


I felt MUCH better today compared to Thursday; no dizziness, no real fatigue.  So I bet at this level I'm back to "normal" in two to three days with rest or at least lighter workouts.  It's always a nice feeling to know how long your body takes to bounce back from various things such as illnesses, injuries, blood donation, maybe a bought of dehydration, anemia, etc.  Those things will certainly come in handy down the road, especially for an endurance athlete who will without doubt run into one of those at some point.  With luck, you can catch the symptoms early or predict when they might be likely to occur and end up preventing them, but it's always a risk.  I simply feel it's always a risk worth taking.


It is now time to "make me mad."  I will check back in tomorrow, but a Happy Halloween to everyone celebrating early.  Be careful and have fun!


Ciao!

No comments: