Friday, April 15, 2011

Friday 50/50 Part V

THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY!!!
Or Allah
Or Buddah
Or Zeus
Or that creepy bronze monkey you keep on your nightstand

...you get the picture


Yes, it is Friday yet again.  Yay end of the work week!  Time to get in those long work outs and then spend all your non-workout free time relaxing and recovering.  Ok, ok.  You can spend time with your kids too, but c'mon; get some priorities!  (just kidding).

As scheduled, I am back to do another installment of our Friday 50/50.  


This is obviously the fifth installment (refer to the blog post title if you're confused on that jump in logic).  If you're not up to to date, here are the previous four installments.  Feel free to peruse at your leisure.
Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV

Now onto a fresh trip into the mind of Dean Karnazes...

17.  Most Often Questions
Dean gives the answers to the top three questions he gets asked by fans.

Q: How do you train?
A: I train by feel.  I run as far and as fast as my body tells me to each day, though I do try to do two very long runs per week.  Those base-building long runs are critically important to me.

It seems that according to Dean, the long run days of the week are what you stick harder to and the rest of the week you just do what your legs tell you; speed, recovery, tempo, or even rest.

Q: What do you eat?
A: I try to base my diet in natural, whole foods that existed hundreds of years ago (vegetables, meat, dairy) and avoid modern processed foods (fast food, packaged products, soft drinks).

This is a diet that to me makes absolute sense.  Nutritionists and dietitians can tell you all the supplements and portions they want, but the more the food industry tries to "perfect" our food, the worse it becomes for us.

Q: How do you keep from getting injured?
A: I do a lot of cross-training with other sports, including mountain biking and windsurfing, to strengthen all muscle sets.

Cross-training is certainly coming up more and more as a vital part of any training regiment. 

18.  Recommended Reading
Dean says that his preferred method of obtaining information about running is talking face-to-face with runners themselves.  However, he does a lot of reading as well and suggests the following resources.

- The Courage To Start by John "The Penguin" Bingham.  This is a book for beginner runners.
- Marathon & Beyond is a bimonthly publication for marathon and ultramarathoners.
- www.injuredrunner.com has plenty of tips on how to identify and treat common runner's injuries. 

19.  Marathons in Natural Splendor
There are so many marathons out there that it can be hard at times to decide which ones are the best.  If you're into beautiful, natural environments, Dean suggests you check out these marathons.

Valley of Fire Marathon in Overton, Nevada (Nov. 19th, 2011)
Deadwood Mickelson Trail Marathon in Deadwood South Dakota (June 5th, 2011)
St. George Marathon in St. George, Utah (Oct. 1st, 2011)
Triple Lakes Trail Marathon in Greensboro, North Carolina (Oct. 15th, 2011)
Breakers Marathon in Middleton, Rhode Island (Oct. 15th, 2011)

For anyone still looking for a marathon to run this year, each one of these races are still open!  I might look more into the Triple Lakes Trail and Breakers Marathon myself.  Anyone else in?

20.  Runner's Club
We all either know or can conceive the benefit of finding groups of people who share your training plans, love for your sport of choice, and such.  For runners, if you are unaware of clubs in your area, Dean suggests checking out the Road Runner's Club of America (RRCA.org).  Go to the top of the page and hit "find a running club," select your state, and scroll through the list to find a club near you.  I have three quite close to me!


Questions:
1.  Has anyone ran any of those natural splendor marathons?

2.  Are you a member of a running, cycling, swimming, or other activity-related club?
I will see about joining a cycling group in a week or two when the local bike shop rides start up.  I need to get some real practice in and I'm sure I could benefit from some free tips!




Stay fit.  Stay healthy. 

6 comments:

Coy Martinez said...

I've seen a video of St. George and it looks pretty awesome! I think North Carolina might be the closest to me.

Jennifer Spadafora said...

Would love to run the Breakers Marathon....depending on training, maybe the 1/2 is in my near furture!? I wish I was a part of a running club. It is so much easier when you have people that love the same stuff as you.

Dr. said...

I'm a member of our local running club! I mostly joined to get in on the track workouts but they also have a lot of fun runs scheduled during the week (like run to a bar and then drink) and long runs together on weekends.

Anonymous said...

Joining a fitness club is the best thing ever - even if you only participate once a month.

Being a member of our local running club has been a HUGE boon to me. My philosophy on meeting folks is finding the people who work the hardest. When I do that I know I have also found the people who play the hardest!

PS - Remember when Dean talks about a long run; he's talking minimum of like a marathon distance (an probably more)

Unknown said...

I haven't run any of these, but I'm in a running club (Tamalpa, in Marin County, Calif). I'm a lousy club member, but I love their track meets, underground runs and newsletter.

Richelle said...

I haven't done any of those races, but Valley of Fire would be fun. My fiance and I went to Valley of Fire State Park when we were in Nevada in 2009 and loved it.

I'm not in a club, but at some point, I'd like to be.