Friday, April 1, 2011

Friday 50/50 Part III

For those of you just joining us, the Friday 50/50 is a post I will be using to share some things I highlighted in Dean Karnazes and Matt Fitzgerald's book 50/50

I'll pick out a few points every week and share them on friday (today).  So if you'd prefer to read the book for yourself and don't want to ruin the surprise (he dies!, oops), then stop reading NOW.  You're still reading.  You just read this.  I made you read this.  Ha!!  Ok, so I'll take that as your consent.  Let's go!

If you haven't read Part's one and two yet, you can find them here...
Friday 50/50 Part I
Friday 50/50 Part II

Ok, now onto installment number THREE!


9. Knowing When To Say When
How many of us have known what we're doing, about to do or plan to do is not really to our best interests?  "This has turned out badly so many times, it's bound to go well THIS time."  Right?  Dean points out that it is sometimes better to train smart than to train hard.  He mentions four examples of when to say "when;" very much like last week's "Sin of Knowing Better."

A) Don't try to run through more than moderate pain in a muscle, bone, or joint.  Check!  Done that.
B) Stop immediately if you experience lightheadedness, dizziness, confusion, or blurred vision; these are all symptoms of heat illness and severe dehydration.  Check!  I've done that.
C) Do not try to continue training when experiencing signs of overtraining syndrome such as persistent fatigue, declining performance, lasting muscle soreness, lack of motivation.  Double Check! 
D) Do not try running when you have a fever, flu-like symptoms or other ailments such as diarrhea or food poisoning.  Still have that one to go.  

10.  Fifty Numbers in Fifty States
While you may consider fifty marathons in fifty states quite the challenge, Dean tips his hat to a few members of his crew who come up with their own little version of the 50/50 themed challenge.  They run a challenge of obtaining fifty phone numbers in fifty states; one in each state.  I personally thought this was hilarious!  And wouldn't you know it, they did.  Now I just wonder if any one of those numbers got used. 

11.  Kidstrong Iowa, Inc.
Dean's sixth marathon was in Iowa.  As a part of this marathon course, Dean ran one lap around the Drake University track and he was joined by the school mascot and a horde of children all wearing yellow shirts.  Throughout the 50 marathons, there were many groups of children - typically a school group - that would run a portion of the race with Dean.  This group however was different, they were a part of Cindy Elsbernd's group called Kidstrong Iowa, Inc.  The group was created by Cindy to battle childhood obesity and it does so in a brilliant manner.

The kids are allowed to take part in supervised walks and runs during their recessFor every 5 miles that they complete, they receive a plastic foot that attaches to their shoestrings.  Once they accumulate a marathon (26.2 miles) worth of feet, they are acknowledged on the morning announcements at school and receive a yellow Kidstrong Iowa, Inc. shirt.  They also have the opportunity to take part in special events such as a victory lap at the Drake Relays (a major collegiate and professional track meet) and running the final mile of the Des Moines Marathon.  As Dean notes, these simple moments of being able to run on a University track or in a sanctioned marathon with a large audience cheering them positively reinforces the experience of running; the kids become hooked! 

 12.  Tips for Parents of Youth Runners
Following the example of Cindy's brilliant system above, Dean has his own list of tips for parents.

- Lead by example.  If you run, they probably will.  If you tell them to run, they won't.
- Keep it fun.  Vary the environment by running on trails, grass, near water, on tracks and the workout by running hills, sprints, easy runs, etc.
- Celebrate EVERY run as an accomplishment.  A sweaty hug from a parent means more to them than all the race medals in the world.
- Kids love technology (and can probably figure it out faster).  Incorporate a GPS or online path tracker into your workouts for them to help with or use.
- Kids are naturally competitive.  Give them opportunities to challenge themselves, but win, lose, or draw, teach them that every completed competition is a success if they do their best.

Concerning the first bullet, while I am quite biased in the fact that most of the people I follow (ok, ALL of them) are fitness-oriented in one way or another (Go us, we ROCK!), I know plenty of parents on here that are amazing examples for their children.  I've heard in the past from plenty of people who feel that parents who take time away from their family to train and/or race are only hurting the family.  I think it certainly is possible to do that, but leading by example and showing your kids that exercise is a healthy, normal part of daily activities is so beyond helpful!!  And on top of that, you can make races a family gathering, trip, or event.

Amanda @ 5 Miles Past Empty is currently training for a Half Ironman and would run her son to school in a stroller.  Mel @ Tall Mom on the Run is training for the Boston Marathon and has to delegate who gets to play on the treadmill first after she's done with her indoor runs and often takes the little ones for family runs.  Tonia @ Racing With Babes just finished the National Marathon in DC, but previously took her girls on a race-cation to Disney World (she got to run, they got to meet all the princesses; it's a win-win!).  I'm sure every mother and father on here has a story like that.  And it warms my heart to hear about them.  If you have one (and if those of you I mentioned have more, PLEASE share!).


Questions
1.  What was the last time you said "when" to yourself?
I cut out eleven miles last week from my schedule for shin splints.

2.  Do you have a story to tell about integrating your exercise and athletics into your children's lives?
PLEASE share!

3.  What are you pumped about this weekend?
I am going to a small triathlon clinic on Sunday.  I'm pumped!


Stay fit.  Stay healthy.   

Disclaimer:  In the case that this is at all necessary, I have received nothing in exchange for posting these reviews on Dean Karnazes and Matt Fitzgeral’s book 50/50 and am not in search of any compensation.  All the views portrayed herein are posted of my own desire, are strictly mine and have no connection to the authors, publisher, or related individuals/organizations discussed.  However, if Dean would like to come by to run with me or send me some autographed books, I would graciously accept.  Just sayin’!

7 comments:

CupCake@ Bigger Girls Can Run Too said...

1. I had to say when to myself on Tuesday when I ran with the 10lbs on my back. Even though I was 10lbs lighter on my return run, I had a severe muscle ache that I knew would only get worse if I pushed it too hard.

2. I do not have children of my own, but I do work with kids. And myself and the other half of Team Awesome like to start every program with FITNESS DICE! Yay!

3. I'm excited for my long run on Sunday. I'm going to run the course for my 5k in May.

Unknown said...

I had to say when last year when I was training for a Marathon and I couldn't get past my 12-15 milers without hip pain. Better than ever now with the right stretches and REST!!

I have posted about my 7 year old running with me. She is a solifd runner for her age. She ran 3 miles on a hilly course a few weeks back. I always tell her how proud I am of her in everything that she does

Going to Mountain Goat training run tomorrow!! Woot!!

Ironmom (Julie) said...

It is a KILLER to skip a workout when you're training for something, even if your body is saying you really need to. I get around this by starting my training plans early and building in "bonus" rest days that I can take when I need them and then get back on track.

Right now I'm using a 36-week Ironman plan, which I started 40 weeks out from the race. I've taken days off when I had out-of-the usual aches and pains, too much work, or just zero motivation. And if I have a few extra rest days at the end, I'll just extend my taper.

Of course, to make this work, you need a lot of flexibility in your weekly schedule, but I'm lucky enough to have that.

5 Miles Past Empty said...

=)
I love setting the example for my son!! I know in the end he will either think I'm crazy or be right along side me!!! I love that LB usually comes to all my races and if there is a kids race he does it!!!

I said when today. I wanted to swim but after my bike crash (yeah, did you catch THAT one???) my body was screaming at me. I'll get back to it though, as soon as I can.

Anonymous said...

I keep my training calendar flexible. I pencil in the workouts I want to do - and if I'm not feeling great that day for a hard workout I just shift things around.

Took me a few years to figure that out and actually follow through.

Coy Martinez said...

My daughter is 11 and has swam competitively for the past couple years. She's fit enough from swimming to run 5K's with me. I'm always jealous because she can win her age division and gets all the cool trophys while I, on the other hand am taking the pics and smiling. She's not afraid to go out and run like I do. I like that.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Great post and thank you AGAIN for the link love :) Our kids love to be outside and RUN.. they cant wait for Summer so we can go "Play" at the track..

I love all of Dean's books, I need to go buy the new one...hmmmm maybe I should read the 8 running/athletic books I have stacked up first.. Working, Running and being a Mom does not leave much time for reading..

Have a GREAT day!!