Monday, November 1, 2010

Yesterday

I didn't wake up yesterday until quarter to 11.  I cannot honestly remember the last time I've been in bed that late in the day.  So after some breakfast, some name calling with the roommate and the typical day-to-days, my workout didn't start 'till 5:30pm.  Despite not getting around to posting the workout, I must admit that I feel great this morning.  And by "great" I mean I have 'morning after' pains.  It's been awhile since I've really had those and I'm glad to  have 'em back.  I increased weights on some of the exercises, so it must be doing the job!!


Reps & Weights:
Warm up: Elliptical; 1 mile forward, 0.2 mile backwards, 0.2 mile forward, 0.1 mile backwards (heart rate up to ~160)
1.  Dumbbell Press (10/8/6 reps with 60 lbs/arm)
2.  Bicep Curls (10/8/7 reps with 55 lbs)
.....** Repeat 1 & 2 for a full three sets

3.  Side Lifts (3 sets of 10 with 25lb [back] & 10lbs [sides])
4.  Horizontal Straight Leg Lifts (3 sets of 10)
5.  Gravity Rower (10 reps with 50 lbs)
6.  Horizontal Overhead Lat (10 reps with 45 lbs)
7.  Trecip Bench Dips (30 reps)
.....** Repeat 3-5 for a full three sets

**Stretching**

8.  Crunch Ups (3 sets of 10 situps & 10 crunches)
9.  Side Turns (15/side)
10. Military Press (3 sets of 10 with 70 lbs)
11. Vertical Bent Leg Lift (3 sets of 15)
12. Vertical Tricep Dip (3 sets of 10/10/7 reps)
13. Pectoral Fly (3 sets of 10/10/9 reps with 100, 115, 130 lbs)

I had a bunch of thoughts during the workout that I thought would be fun to share.
1.  I increased the dumbbell press from 55 to 60lbs.  These are the biggest dumbbells I use and everyone so often I get entertained by a look from another person like "what the heck is that scrawny kid doing with those big weights?!"  I feel like the body builders that are always at the gym, but I lack the shear muscle mass so it's fun watching people's faces.
2.  I am beginning to seriously doubt the use of free standing bicep curls.  I might have to start using either the machine or the bench to stabilize my elbow because I feel more in my forearms than my biceps.  Just a word of warning for how to focus on the biceps.
3.  Side lifts, while a bit painful at first for me due to a lack of flexibility in my side is a GREAT way to increase that flexibility.  I've only done it a few times and I can already tell it's helping. 
4.  When doing the horizontal straight-leg lifts, keep your butt from lifting off the ground.  When that happens, your lower abs get a moment to relax and the exercise becomes easier.  While it feels good, it's not doing the job it's supposed to.

1 comment:

Joe said...

name-calling?? =P