Monday, July 2, 2012

What did you do this weekend?

It's one of the most popular questions for Monday.

How was your weekend?  
What did you do?  
Anything fun?

In my experience, a third of the people I'll ask will still be battling a hang over.   Another third will actually have trouble remembering what it was they did (what a memorable weekend!).  And then the athletic third of my friends will rattle off all the long workouts they did (especially those who were up at Lake Placid training camp this weekend).

So when I get asked today "Kurt, what did you do this weekend?," I'll answer...

Oh, nothing much.  
Did some cleaning, watched a movie, worked on a puzzle, 
and 66 miles of training.

Friday
This is universal party night, right?  Ok, maybe not for those with kids at home, but everyone always has a party to go to, a bar they're going to hang out at, or the like.  I go to the lake with my tri club and get in a 1.7 mile swim.  Granted, they do have beers post-swim, but I don't drink, so it's water and pb until I can get home to make dinner.

Saturday
While the Friday night partiers are still sleeping, I headed out to the lake again with a couple friends to get in OWS #2 for the weekend; 1.4 mile swim.  Back home I grabbed a snack, took a nap, and suited up for a long bike ride.  Despite the weather (91 degrees and sunny), I got in a solid 50 mile ride.  I also learned that it's time to get the Minoura double mount cage holder.  Three bottles only lasted me 25 miles in that heat.

Sunday
At this point, the partiers have given up on me.  They're yet again sleeping off a "Great Saturday night" that they'll piece together through texts, voicemails, and friends while I was back in the water; this time a pool.  1600 yard swim to loosen up before yoga class.  Then a snack, nap, and back out in the heat (now a nice and cool 89 degrees) for what turned into an 11.96 mile run.  I planned on 14, but the heat got the better of me.

Here's to surviving another weekend!!
...in my own unique way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions
1.  What did you do this weekend?

2.  Do you save your long workouts for the weekend, or do you fit them in during the week?


Swim fast.  Bike smart.  Run hard. 

5 comments:

Quix said...

Hehe, I do a little of both. Friday, I ran 3 and did weights. Saturday, I ran 6, swam 1500, and biked 30, and THEN had some beers and enjoyed a rest day on Sunday. :)

Sarah said...

I would love to be able to fit in my long workouts during the week and and my weekends free! Not the case though.

I biked 128 miles on Sat and ran 15 on sunday. Fun stuff I tell you :)

Anonymous said...

You are an animal! I worked on organizing/decorating my house, ran 8 miles, biked 50 and watched the Tour and the Trials! Exciting life of training for Ironman, huh?!

Suz and Allan said...

That's quite a weekend!

Bron said...

Ha! this post made me smile because I have the same thing happen to me all the time

"how was your weekend?"
"yeah not bad, did a 60km bike and 11km run"
"Over the whole weekend?"
"No, Saturday, started at 6am"
:o