Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Survived a Solo OWS

One of my primary goals today was to get in the water. 

Source
 As you can see on my weekly training log on the left column, I haven't done much swimming lately and I know swimming distance was an issue I pin-pointed after the Rhode Island 70.3.  So after a couple weeks of posting in my triathlon clubs forums and not getting anyone interested in going swimming with me, I said "eeeehhhh....  F* it."  I headed to the lake alone.

Solo OWS! (open water swim)

I know people say it's one of the worst risks you can take in training, but how else am I gonna' get my mileage in!  But either way, I'm still here (or am I?) and despite the horrible after taste of seaweed/algae water, I'm doing well.  I'm also looking oh-so longingly at my bed.  My nap may come earlier than planned.  (*smile!*).

Anyways, while I was out swimming - you know, thinking of random things while my body does the muscle work - all of a sudden there's a big SPLASH!!  What the heck?  Who's throwing things?  Oh, hey.  It's another swimmer.  haha  Apparently I wasn't the only one with the bright idea to do an across the lake swim solo.  And not only that, but we just about swam head on into one another.  We had a quick laugh, she warned me that there was another person out in the lake as well, and we headed off in our separate directions.  What are the odds of two random people swimming the EXACT same path (within inches!) in the same lake on the same morning.  Crazy!

Ok, it's time to get this new printer hooked up and some food in my belly before I hit the hay!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions
1.  What have you done today?  Anything fun?
I know, most of you are probably at work, am I right?  Though, a good number of you work from home!

2.  If you could do anything you wanted today, what would it be?
I'm doing exactly what I want; train, eat, sleep, and have some fun.  Man I love this life!!


Stay fit.  Stay healthy.  Stay safe. 

5 comments:

Coy Martinez said...

What are the odds?? I think my heart would have been racing. I'm always thinking about Jaws when I'm in the water. Stupid fear!

If I could do anything today it would to be at Disney with myself and about 5 friends riding rides and drinking frozen drinks ALL DAY.

Runners Fuel said...

Today is one of my busy workout days. So far, I have ran 6 miles, spent 20 minutes on the stairs, I'm currently at work for 9 hours, then I head back to the gym for a 4 mile run and 60 minute spin class. When I get home, i have dinner plans with the hubs and a movie. I have to shower somewhere in there. I love every minute of it!

Aimee said...

Nice job with your OWS!!!
This morning I ran for 1hr! :)
If I could do anything today I think I would go buy a cup of coffee and just sit and read something good. With 2 boys (4 and 6) I haven't been able to do that in a long time!!

Anonymous said...

Great job on the OWS!! Those can be intimidating for sure!

I biked for an hour this morning but didn't feel like it was enough. Trying to muster up the energy to go for a run - blah.

If I could do anything, it would be to spend it at a spa getting pampered! Massage, pedicure, the works. Just a day for "me" with no responsibilities!!

5 Miles Past Empty said...

Random!! Did you give her the "Come here often?" line??

Awesome job and glad you didn't die. Are there boats out there?