Wednesday, January 4, 2017

I Need Monthly Challenge Ideas

I am a fan of challenging yourself, expanding your horizon, and pushing those limits.  I love adventure, new experiences, and doing something simply for the novelty of it.

Athletics is a MAJOR way I get to challenge my limits.  That initial challenge somewhat took over my life; triathlon, personal training, coaching, etc.  Monthly challenges are a way I get to try new things in so many other directions.  Some I incorporate into my normal life.  Others I don't.  That's the beauty of it.  You only live once, so why not experience everything you can in that time?!


In the past, I've done challenges to change my diet (paleo twice, vegetarian), financial savings, and reading every night.  As a result, I went vegetarian for 2 years and have been pescatarian for 1.5 years.  I have a plan to be debt free within 4 years, 4 years ahead of schedule.  I do still love to read, but it is tough to fit in. 

Most recently December 2016 was a peanut butter intervention.  I admittedly have been known to down an entire jar (2800+ calories) of all natural peanut butter before I realize what I've done.  That needed to stop.  I am now allowed one jar per week.  That challenge taught me that I did not need peanut butter as a snack.  There were other things I could eat and forced me to make those foods available. 

Looking ahead to 2017, I only have two challenges in mind. 

Meditation
I will be meditating 5+ minutes per day in order to try and clear my mind of the anxiety of never ending to do list in my head. 

No Texting (only calling & email)
I am intrigued by how texting has changed how civilization communicates and therefore how we interact.  I want to go back to a time where you had to speak with someone verbally in order to interact.  

I am in need of suggestions for monthly challenges.  The only requirement is that it push a limit or force me to try something new.  Let the suggestions fly!!

January - Meditation (5+ min/day)
February - No texting (I can only call or email)
March - ??
April - ??
May - ??
June - ??
July - ??
August - ??
September - ??
October - ??
November - ??
December - ??


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUESTIONS
1.  Have you ever done a monthly challenge?  If so, what have you done?

2.  If you could try a new experience, what would it be?

3.  What would you change about your normal daily routine?


DREAM.  BELIEVE.  ACHIEVE. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you tried going gluten free for a month? I am celiac so no choice...at first it is rough but then you gain a ton of energy!

OR, swim everyday for a month ;) this feels AMAZING!