Wednesday, April 17, 2013

RECIPE BOOK: Creamy Tomato Soup with a Kick

Today's recipe is another soup (I'm kind of on a soup kick right now) from Barefoot Contessa's book Foolproof.  This is her Easy Tomato Soup and I agree, it's quite easy.  However, I took the liberty to make some changes and give it a kick.

As a kid, I absolutely LOVED Campbell's tomato soup.  Give me a can of that and grilled cheese or peanut butter sandwiches and I was set!  Mmmmmmmm...  But as I've grown, I've come to like soups with a bit more to them.  This simple recipe takes those childhood memories and adds a little grown up spice to it.  I hope you enjoy!


Creamy Tomato Soup with a Kick


INGREDIENTS

2 large sweet yellow onions
3 – 4 large cloves of garlic; minced
4 cups vegetable stock
1 large can (28 oz.) tomato puree
1 large pinch of saffron threads
1 – 2 Tbsp basil (chopped if fresh)
½ Tbsp crushed red pepper (to taste)
2 cups small pasta
1 cup heavy cream

INSTRUCTIONS

In a large pot, add the onions and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.  Stir in the chicken stock, tomato puree, saffron, basil, and crushed red pepper.  Bring the soup to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta al dente or even less.  It should not be finished cooking yet; it will finish cooking in the soup.

Drain the pasta and add it to the soup. Stir in the cream, and taste test.  Continue cooking the soup at a simmer for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently and adding seasonings as needed.
 
NOTES
  • For chunkier soup, used a 28oz. can of diced tomatoes, a 6oz. can of tomato paste, and 12oz. of water.
  • For a stronger tomato flavor, add tomato paste.  Use water to maintain desired consistency.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions
1.  What meals do you remember as part of your favorite childhood memories?

2.  Has your taste and choice of food changed as the years go by?
I've certainly opened myself up to a wider range of foods and because of that have a greater appreciation for foods that I shunned as a kid.

3.  Do you have any favorite go-to recipes hiding in your kitchen?
If so, I want to know!


Dream.  Believe.  Achieve. 



2 comments:

Coy Martinez said...

You said "heavy cream", I'm in! I love that stuff. In France they cook chicken in it with mushrooms. So freaking good!

I do a pretty good lasagna and ravioli!

CautiouslyAudacious said...

I'll have to try this one. I love tomato soup but store bought ones are often too sweet.