Friday, February 26, 2016

Freakin' A Friday!! 017 - Marketing

Has this happened to you?!

How many times have you walked past a sign, driven past a billboard, listened to a radio ad, or watched a commercial and thought "...wait.  Really?!  How can they say that??"  It baffles me how much misdirected information or just blatantly wrong information is out there.

These are based on actual ads I have seen.

The tv tells you they have the workout product that will bust through those extra 50 pounds you're carrying around in just 14 minutes a day!  Have we become THAT lazy??  Fourteen minutes a day is still 52 minutes short of the recommended weekly activity for adults. 

The radio has sponsored ads from companies that sell fiber pills which fill you up so that you don't have to worry about WHAT you eat because the pills take care of HOW MUCH you eat.  Of course all the DJs swear by it.  I turn the station every time I hear it come on.  Eat a real piece of food.  Fiber! 

And the most recent that I've seen is the sign below posted near the entrance of a gym that I frequent.



I acknowledge that I am biased in multiple ways.  I am an endurance triathlete and a personal trainer/endurance coach.  However, part of that bias is based on real scientific research.  Granted, I'm not jumping at the gun to go into marketing because that is one department I don't care to take part in, but come on.  Really?!  Do we need to give people false information in order to convince them to do something they don't need, but you make money at?  Can't we just tell people the truth and be done?!

Thankfully, a few days later, the sign got switched to this.



I could still argue it, but at least it initiates a logical discussion.  Good job gym!



Freakin' A!!!

No comments: